What we now know as Hobart PCYC first commenced as The Hobart Police Boys Club, formed November, 1953. The club was later renamed the Hobart Police Boys and Girls Club, followed by the Hobart Police and Citizens Youth Club and currently the Hobart Police and Community Youth Club (Hobart PCYC).
Hobart PCYC is a non-profit community service organisation that aims to provide a safe environment for youth and the community to participate in a range of social and recreational activities at affordable prices. Activities include weight gym/fitness training, Gymnastics, Basketball, senior classes and various forms of self defence. We also have a Mobile Activity Centre (MAC) which allows the Hobart PCYC to provide activity and support to those unable to access the club facilities
The club is run by a Management Committee, a Club Manager and key support staff. A Tasmania Police Officer also works within the club to encourage a positive liaison between Police and youth. The Club Officer works closely with the Tasmania Police Early Intervention team and other community organisations to provide youth programs and activities, particularly for those considered 'at risk' or disadvantaged.
In order to provide low cost activities the Hobart PCYC relies heavily on sponsorship, grants and donations. All donations are tax deductible and any money received goes directly towards the running of current and future activities that are offered.
1950: 20th March, Inaugural Meeting of 15 Police Officers to investigate the commencement of a club in Hobart.
1953: 20th November, Official Opening of the Club known as Hobart Police Boys Club. Activities operated from the 1832 Congregational Church Sunday School Premises.
1953: Trouper Jack Buckby nominated first Club Superintendent
1955: 8th May, Hobart Police Girls Club officially commenced
1964: 26th March, new premises foundation stone laid at 300 Liverpool Street
1964: December, Boys and Girls Clubs amalgamated under the new title Hobart Police and Citizens Youth Club Inc
1965: 10th May, the official opening of the new Liverpool Street premises
1984: 6th June, new Freeman Olympic Hall built and opened
1990: 6th December, Weight Gym and Store Room opened (now the Dojo)
1994: 17th March, new larger roof top weight gym opened
1996: 29th January, Mobile Activity Centre Program Commenced (MAC)
1997: Street Work Program commenced for disadvantaged youth on the street
1997: Teen Vacation program commenced for 'at risk' teenagers
1997: Reclink program commenced for Unemployed/Street Youth
2000: Young Women's Program commenced for 'at risk' females
2005: Migrant/Refugee Basketball program commenced
2005: Extra weight gym built and fitted out
2008: Outdoor Fitness and BBQ area built
2010: Dojo refurbished
2013: Weight Gym new flooring and 11 new pieces of Matrix equipment installed
2013: New 21 seater bus, made possible by a Tasmanian Community Fund Grant